A new report finds that most visitors make a decision to stay or leave an e-commerce site in the first 5 seconds. Here are five tips to ensure a leisure marketing site keeps its customers shopping.
Digital marketing agency Oneupweb just released a new study titled Revolutionizing Website Design.
The report recommends web merchants flawlessly execute their site’s basic functionality before offering more sophisticated features.
5 recommendation to leisure marketing e-retailers who want to lower failure and abandonment rates:
- People decide if they trust a website in the first 5 seconds. The best way to earn their trust is to look like an e-commerce site.
- Your homepage is like a window display. Make product visible from the home page.
- Vital information like prices and product specs should be accessible within a single click.
- Keep usability and back-end management simple. Avoid extra functionality unless it’s flawless.
- Broken applications, form failures, and failed search results erode credibility and lead to higher failure and abandonment rates.
The report also polled respondents on the importance of 10 popular e-commerce site features:
- Clearly stated pricing and shipping information (important to 96% of respondents)
- Looks credible and trustworthy (important to 76% of respondents)
- Product displayed on homepage ( important to 71% of respondents)
- Visually appealing (important to 67% of respondents)
- Total cost calculator (important to 59% of respondents)
- Search Function (important to 48% of respondents)
- Privacy Statement (important to 46% of respondents)
- Onsite customer reviews or testimonials (important to 41% of respondents)
- Online customer service (live chat) (important to 33% of respondents)
- Links to social networks like Facebook and Twitter (important to 23% of respondents)
If you’re a leisure marketing pro with an e-commerce site, the report gives clear direction on how to improve the usability of your site:
If you focus on improving the experience the customer has in their first five seconds on your site, you can decrease abandonment rates and increase transactions.