33% of respondents in a new survey said they had used their smart phone to shop, and another 26% plan to in 2011.
The numbers are in and the percentage of people using their mobile phones to shop is growing exponentially.
Foresee Results just published a new survey of 10,000 visitors to the top e-tailer websites. The results are startling.
- Almost 6 in 10 shoppers are either already using their mobile phones or plan to use their mobile phones to shop in 2011.
- 3 in 10 shoppers had used their mobile phones to compare product details, look up prices or find store locations this past holiday season.
- 11% of respondents reported making a purchase with their mobile phone this past holiday season compared to only 2% last year.
- 56% of mobile shoppers compare prices, 46% compare products, 35% look up product specs, and 27% read customer reviews.
- 7 out of 10 visitors to bricks and mortar stores say they use their mobile phones to access the store’s website while in the store.
- 5 in 10 of those same visitors to bricks and mortar stores say they use their mobile phones to access the store’s competitors’ websites.
- 3 in 10 respondents said that a good mobile site increases their chances of purchasing online and another 3 in 10 say they are more likely to buy from that store’s bricks and mortar location.
Major e-tailers reported significant growth in mobile sales this year.
- Amazon is bringing in $1 billion annually from its mobile sales.
- eBay reported that online shopping using its mobile app increased 134% this year.
- ABI Research reported that mobile online shipping in the U.S. increased from $396 million in 2008 to $1.2 billion in 2010.
- ABI predicts mobile sales will reach $119 billion by 2015.
“This finding indicates a huge opportunity for retailers with sophisticated, user-centric mobile sites and apps,” says Kevin Ertell, vice president of retail strategy at ForeSee Results and author of the study.
The study’s authors make a number of recommendations leisure marketing pros should follow:
- If you haven’t already, develop an app to make shopping and researching easier for your mobile shoppers.
- Optimize your current site for mobile users or develop a special mobile site.
- Make sure your mobile site makes it easy to research your products and compare them to your competitors.
You can read more about the results of Foresee’s research here.