Adventure travel is more than three times the size of the cruise market. So how come your travel brand isn’t reaching out to this market?
A recent benchmark study conducted by George Washington University valued the adventure tourism market at $89 billion.
If you’re doing travel marketing for a destination brand, it’s time to reconsider the adventure traveler.
The Adventure Tourism Market Report conducted by George Washington University in partnership with the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA), found that adventure travelers spent $89 billion excluding airfare and gear.
Here are 6 key findings from the study:
- If your brand involves physical activity, nature-based travel or cultural experiences, and is a soft or hard adventure (see definition below) you’re part of the adventure-travel economy.
- Nearly 150 million adventure trips are taken every year.
- Adventure travelers spent another $53 billion on gear, apparel and accessories for a total of $142 billion.
- By comparison, the cruise line world market share is estimated at $26.8 billion and the U.S. wine market at $30 billion annually.
- This market attracts environmentally and culturally aware consumers, and focuses on responsible and sustainable development.
- 26% of respondents took hard (backpacking, trekking, etc…) or soft adventure trips (birdwatching, safari, etc…)
6 ways can marketers of travel and leisure brands reach the adventure traveler:
- Adventure travelers plan their trips online, so the best way to reach them is through internet and social media.
- Create special content on your web and social sites that appeal specifically to this traveler, especially website navigation that directs them to photos and videos of activities and attractions just for them.
- Sponsor events that appeal to adventure travelers, and negotiate naming rights so your name is closely associated with the event.
- Identify adventure travel bloggers and magazines, and develop content that they will write about.
- Buy keywords related to adventure travel and direct them to a landing page on your site specifically populated with adventure travel content.
- Buy advertising in magazines that appeal to the adventure traveler.
Tell us what you’ve been doing to reach the adventure traveler. If you’d like to learn more about this market, you can read a snapshot of the report here.