If your travel brand is targeted to the leisure traveler, several reports have come out recently that identify trends and tips for marketing to consumers in the post-recession economy.
A report from E-Marketer identifies six trends that will dictate the winners and losers in the post-recession economy.
- Value is now the mantra of the day. Many travelers are cutting back, and are seeking a better balance between quality and price.
- Social media is creating new ways of sharing information. Online reviews and user-generated content are being connected to social networking,and increasing their influence on travel-buying decisions.
- Mobile devices are allowing more travel planning on the go. Many travelers are using mobile phones to plan and book trips and to access location-specific content.
- Personalized micro-niche travel is taking off. A growing dissatisfaction with one-size-fits-all travel is driving demand for customized offerings.
- Online travel is reaching in new directions. The growth in online booking is shifting overseas, while US travelers who book online are looking for more international options.
- Sustainable travel is growing in popularity. Consumers are favoring travel suppliers who deploy green practices.
You can order the report here.
The latest edition of PhoCusWright’s Consumer Travel Report identifies five key findings:
- 11% fewer people traveled last year and they spent 15% less than the year before.
- Although people took fewer trips, their trips were longer. 6 in 10 trips were of 4 or more nights.
- the recovery this year will be restrained, as the number of travelers will remain flat.
- Travelers 45 or older pulled back on travel sooner, and were less likely to travel.
- Travelers under 35 had a significantly higher incidence of travel, but showed larger year over year declines in travel.
Carol Rheem, Director of Research at PhoCusWright, offers some interesting insights in this video.
Carol talks about what we can expect from various travel demographics this year and beyond.
You can order the full report at PhoCusWright’s website.
What trends are you seeing among your customers? What are you doing to appeal to this new kind of traveler? Share with us your successes and learning experiences in this post-recession economy.