Teen influencers on social media sites are more likely to read and share content that is shocking or humorous.
If you’re marketing your travel or leisure brand to teens, the Ketchum Global Research Network recently published a study on the holy grail of this target audience: teen Influencers on social media networks.
The study defines teen influencers as the top 15% most active users of social media networks, and offers useful insights into how to speak to this target.
Teen influencers cruise more, buy more and share more.
- They spend an average of 2 hours a day on social media sites.
- From movie tickets to mobile devices teen influencers shop and spend more than their peers.
- Once they have bought and used a product, almost 9 in 10 teen influencers share information on those products with their friends.
- 1 in 2 trust the advice of their friends when they’re shopping, compared to only 9% who trust an adult
The more shocked they are, they more they share.
- The are more likely to share content that shocks them or makes them laugh.
- They also like to share content that contains gossip about celebrities.
If you’re a marketer of a travel or leisure brand and you want to reach teens, start by identifying what social media sites teen influencers hang out in, and start talking to them:
- To get your products into the hands of teen influencers, start by creating content that will surprise or humor teens.
- Create pages on social networking sites that make it easy for them to share information about your product or service with their friends. And to let them share in a conversation about your brand.
- Don’t assume that because you think your content is funny or shocking, they will, too.
- Test your concept with teens and get their reaction before investing your marketing dollars in production.
The study, conducted by the Ketchum Global Research Network, surveyed 10,000 teens ages 13-19 who are members of a leading social media site.