10 easy-to-implement suggestions to increase engagement from CVBs and resorts around the country
How do successful travel and destination brands keep their Facebook fans engaged every day?
To find out, we studied the Facebook pages of CVBs and destinations around the country. Here are 10 tips from some of our favorites:
1. Ask fans to name their favorite attraction.
Branson, Missouri got 30 likes and a couple dozen comments after posting this question.
2. Offer your current fans an incentive to help you attract new fans.
Glenwood Springs, CO gave away free passes to a local attraction and a night in a local hotel if their fans would spread the word and help them pass the 6,000 fan mark.
Our client Grand Junction, CO, which positions itself as the epicenter of Colorado Wine Country, offered their Facebook fans this coupon for a local vineyard.
During the holiday season, Downtown Boulder, CO offered a $500 gift card good at participating local merchants.
5. Use a TV news-style video to report on upcoming events.
Once a week, Estes Park, Colorado puts out a news-style video with an anchorperson reporting on events for the upcoming weekend.
6. Post a QR code linking to deals at local merchants.
Estes Park recently posted this QR code that links to a local jewelry store’s deals.
7. Post a newspaper or magazine article, and ask for feedback.
VisitDenver recently posted this article from a local magazine, 5280 on Denver neighborhoods, then asked its followers if they agreed with 5280’s characterizations of each neighborhood.
8. Invite your fans to give you ideas for your annual travel guide.
The New York Tourism Board invites their Facebook fans to share their favorite places to stay and shop, and promises to include a few in an upcoming edition of the New York State Travel Guide.
9. Invite locals to post their videos of local scenery and activities.
Our client Wind River Country recently posted this video from a local video production house featuring heart-pumping footage of prime local snowmobile terrain.
10. Offer a giveaway from one of your sponsors.
Jackson Hole Mountain Resort got their sponsors Subaru and Marmot to put up the money for this giveaway.
Those are a few examples of what other destinations are doing. Now tell us what’s working for you.