8 in 10 Americans have trouble leaving their work behind when they go on vacation. Could your travel brand be the solution?
A recent TripAdvisor travel trends survey uncovered a startling trend.
As a travel and hospitality marketing specialist , I don’t like to admit that I have trouble separating work from pleasure.
But the truth is I’m usually a day or two into a vacation before my wife gently reminds me to quit checking emails and voicemails.
The latest TripAdvisor Travel Trends survey reveals that I’m not the only American leisure traveler having trouble leaving their work at home.
The Fake-ation may be the biggest travel trend TripAdvisor uncovered this year.
According to Trip Advisor, American travelers are, in effect, taking vacations without getting a real vacation.
- 8 in 10 Americans say they chose their destination at least partly because it is too remote to connect with work.
- Yet 7 in 10 people admit to connecting with work on leisure trips.
- 6 in 10 check their e-mail, while 1 in 10 call the office.
Why can’t Americans leave their work behind? If they’re like me, the internet and cell phones make connecting to work too easy.
If you’re a travel or leisure marketing specialist, there’s a big opportunity for you in this trend.
People like me want to escape. But we need help letting go.
Could your brand be the solution? Could you provide the real escape people are looking for?
Instead of making it easier for people to connect to work, could you cater to their desire to disconnect?
- Could you remove the cell tower from the top of your building and provide a cell-free zone?
- Instead of offering free wi-fi, maybe you offer no-fi. Or if you want a little extra press coverage, $500 a day wi-fi.
- Maybe you go lo-tech and require people to turn in their cell phones and lap tops upon arrival.
- Or you set up cell-free and laptop free zones.
- If you’re marketing camping equipment, scuba gear or even movie theaters, maybe you position your leisure brand as the only true escape from the office.
TripAdvisor has uncovered a truth most of us can’t deny: We are looking for a way to get away from it all, but the internet and universal cell coverage have trapped us.
How you can your brand be our escape hatch?