A variety of new mobile tools and apps cater to procrastinators and locals
If your hotel or resort property’s website isn’t optimized for mobile, you could be losing out on the growing market for same-day bookings.
According to a recent story in USA Today, online travel agencies are introducing a rising number of booking tools and features geared towards people who book a room on the day of their stay.
The statistics indicate this phenomenon is not just a passing trend
- 60% of mobile bookings on Priceline are for the same day
- 65% of Orbitz’ mobile bookings are same-day reservations versus 14% for desktop computers
- Marriott recently reported that 50% of its same-day bookings came through the mobile channel
- More than 800,000 iPhone users have downloaded Hotel Tonight an app featuring daily hotel deals
Who are these people and why do they wait until the last day to book?
- travelers who don’t like to plan
- long-distance commuters working late
- homeowners without electricity
- travelers whose flight are cancelled
- suburban deal seekers
- couples celebrating anniversaries
Should your travel brand take advantage of this new trend?
- Hotel Tonight reports that participating hotels like their service because they don’t have to commit a minimum number of rooms
- Given that an average of 40% of rooms go unbooked each night, why wouldn’t you explore this new opportunity?
How much of your bookings are coming through same-day mobile reservations?
Tell us how this new trend is affecting your business and what you’ve learned so far.